Monday, October 22, 2012

Tinman Syndrome

 
How do you describe what it feels like to have autoimmune arthritis? I use the "Tinman" analogy. Ya know when the Tinman gets left out in the rain storm and all his joints are rusted shut and he can hardly move & he is in desperate search for oil. The oil is the only thing that can help unhinge his rusted shut joints so he can move again.  My "oil" is the search for the right medicine to control my chronic inflammation and pain. For me it was a very long search as I had tried it all. Methotrexate (pill and shot form) Immuran, Arava, Plaquenil, cortisone shots in knees, wrists, fingers and more I can't seem to remember them all.   The better the medicine works the better my rusted shut joints would move.  The best "oil" for me came 10 years after being diagnosed with RA and it is called Enbrel ( I was 15 when I first became symptomatic but wasn't diagnosed till age 24).  It has helped keep my joints moving without rusting shut everyday and causing further damage.  I don't know how long this "oil" will continue to work but I will take it as long as it keeps working.  How do you describe your chronic pain condition to others? Leave me a comment I love to hear your feedback.

I sure hope you find the right "oil" that works for you. For this the key to freedom from rusted joints.
 

2 comments:

  1. I loved your example of the Tin Man! Short and sweet, and right to the point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy. It's what I always picture myself being a rusted up tinman in desperate need for the right oil. Thank you for taking the time to read it and leaving a reply. That gives me encouragement to keep fighting for awareness even if it means only changing one person view on Chronic pain conditions like RA.

      Delete